Introducing our Events Support Assistant… Rachel!

Rachel joined the Events Services team at the beginning of the year and has become a valued team member since. Read the below for a glimpse into Rachel’s role!

Can you tell us a bit more about yourself / your background?

I joined the team in April 2023 and hit the ground running, getting stuck into assisting with summer schools and conference planning.  I’ve previously worked as Events Officer at National Museum Cardiff and The Wallace Collection in London, so had a good idea of what to expect from our events at the university.

What inspired you to work in the Events industry?

I’m very detail focused, so being able to get into the nitty-gritty of bookings and their requirements really appeals to me.  It’s also fun to see the variety of events that cross your path in this role – no two events are ever alike. So, it really broadens your knowledge of the professional world – and you meet some fascinating people too.

Can you tell us a bit about the favourite event you have looked after since working at Swansea University?

Still being relatively new to the team means my options are limited, but I’ve always loved seeing the film crews coming onto site and filming for various productions. I did this regularly in my previous roles, and one of my first roles on campus was assisting with a similar production. It was great fun to watch and made even more interesting when you get to see the finished product on screen.

What’s your favourite thing about Swansea University?

Being so close to Singleton Park – I adore walking in woods, so having that right outside the office is amazing for me.  I’d probably work from the woods if I could get decent WiFi.

In your opinion, what is the best recurring event at the University?

I’ve not seen many recurring events at the University yet.  But Fresher’s Week was great to see!  It was wonderful to see so many people back on campus, with so much activity and excitement.  It also took me back to my own Fresher’s Week (also at Swansea University), so there was some added nostalgia to it too.

If you could organise an event yourself, what is a must-have feature?

I think the best events have aspects that will appeal to multiple audiences, so I would try to find ways to entwine different topics (perhaps topics that wouldn’t necessarily go together normally) into the event itself, and in doing so, broaden its potential audience. It also helps that we have such beautiful landscape and scenery surrounding both campuses, so making the most out of those features are always a must.

What do you love to do outside of work?

I’m an avid reader – I adore books, and I always have at least one book in my bag.  I also love- being out in the woods, so I walk a lot – usually with a couple of dogs just to add a pinch of chaos!  Other than that, I love History and amateur dramatics, so you’ll either find me treading the boards somewhere in Swansea or lurking in the corner of a museum.