Swansea University is very proud to be ranked 9th out of 150 institutions in the ‘University Green League’, and we are the top Welsh University in the table, making us one of the most sustainable Universities in the UK.
It is no surprise, therefore, that sustainability is at the heart of everything we do across the University, so we have compiled a list of 10 simple things you can do to help make your event greener:
1. Think Green – Ensure that sustainability is at the forefront of your mind when you start organising your event and that your fellow committee are engaged and committed to your green agenda.
2. Sustainable Travel – Both of our campuses are easily accessible by rail, a short journey from Swansea train station, and delegates attending conferences at Swansea University can benefit from 20% off their train fares when travelling with Great Western Railway (find out more here).
For delegates travelling from similar locations, why not promote car sharing? Additionally, we have our very own bike sharing scheme – the first in Wales – the perfect way for delegates to explore the city whilst also beating the traffic by using our fantastic cycle routes.
3. Electronic Programs – you can reduce paper usage at your event by providing documents electronically rather than printing them out – it is inevitable that you will have information to share with your delegates, but you can do this in advance via email, or through a custom conference app that our Event Services team can help you develop.
4. Reduce the Juice – minimise power usage in accommodation by turning off lights when you leave the room, keeping the heating low and only leaving towels to be washed when absolutely necessary.
5. Cater Consciously – The University’s Campus Catering division has a strong commitment to sustainability. We strive to produce fresh, healthy and sustainable food, using environmentally responsible, ethically sourced and local ingredients – what better way to immerse yourself in local culture than through your taste buds?
6. Ditch the Disposables – Use crockery instead of paper cups for your much anticipated tea and coffee breaks. On campus, we encourage use of reusable cups.
7. Recycle your Rubbish – There are numerous recycling waste bins around both campuses where delegates can dispose of their rubbish.
8. Local Talent – When it comes to selecting the entertainment for your event, engage with local acts who don’t need to travel far to get to your event, this also shines the spotlight on local talent and culture – something we have in abundance here in Swansea.
9. Allocate Accurately – Ensure delegate lists are confirmed promptly to avoid over catering your event, both in terms of food and any unavoidable printouts that are issued.
10. Return and Re-use – At the end of the event, ask delegates to return their name tags so the cases can be re-used at another event, provide well signposted drop off points for delegates to see the best results.
To book a meeting and find out how Swansea University can support you, please contact us today.
Find out more about Swansea University’s commitment to sustainability here.